-- Rafiq Ismail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> There are some really graphic intensive pages here, however I'm not sure
> if Keep alive is good when there's lots of contention for pages.  Should
> I:
>        i) disable keep alive?
>
>       ii) reduce the keep alive time out ?
>
>        iii) up my number for max spare servers?  Since i've not maxed out
> on load or memory, perhaps more idle servers will reduce the contention
> for apache children?  My intutition is that since the server is obviously
> in trouble, resource wise, perhaps increasing the number of daemons will
> relieve the load.  Not sure.  It's a big box.  Any ideas?
>
>        iv) Something else?

Unless you  are running out of proc's -- hitting MaxServers --
then the number of keepalives shouldn't matter that much.  The
[lack of] bandwidth seems to be causing you pain. If you can
spread the load over multiple machines further up the network
(i.e., with fewer routers between them and the cloud) it might
help.  Randal wrote an article last year about using rewrite
rules as a poor-man's load balancer.  That might help.

                                            +1 800 762 1582