The original poster talked about C++ CGI programs. I have been using
mod_perl since 0.7x days and I can tell you there is no way a fork+exec
CGI program no matter what language its written in will come anywhere
close to a perl handler written against the mod_perl Apache API in
execution speed (when they are doing equivalnet types of work). Using C++
to build web applications is something developers who grew up in the
heyday of client server would think is a good idea. In the internet web
applications business by the time you get a C++ program debugged and ready
to roll the market has evolved and your software is out of date.  C++ is a
good language for systems programming, databases, etc., but web apps need
shorter life cycles.

I had an investor question similar to the one we are talking about 3 years
ago. I was questioned as to why we used Apache, mod_perl, and mysql
instead of C++ and Oracle's DB and Web Devel kit. Needless to say our
mod_perl systems have thrived while most of the investor's other
investments have had their expensive hardware auctioned off on Ebay
recently.

The essence of mod_perl is that it allows to to take an idea and build a
working prototype very quickly. When you prove that the prototype works
you don't need to rewrite - mod_perl scales up better than any other web
application technology available - period.

-jon

--

C. Jon Larsen Chief Technology Officer, Richweb.com (804.307.6939)
SMTP: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (http://richweb.com/cjl_pgp_pub_key.txt)

Richweb.com:
Designing Open Source Internet Business Solutions since 1995
Building Safe, Secure, Reliable Cisco-Powered Networks since 1995