I agree. mod_perl is a technology not a platform. Java is called Java,
Servlets are called Servlets, but products on top of the technology (eg app
servers) are usually have the name "Orwellian Pearlz Factory".

If you wanted to use a marketing name, you should have just told them you
were using one of the frameworks on top of mod_perl like AxKit or Mason.

At 08:59 AM 1/30/2002, Robin Berjon wrote:
>Hi ct !
>
>On Wednesday 30 January 2002 01:29, Chris Thompson wrote:
> > Well, I'd like to just throw one idea into the mix. It's something that's
> > bugged me for a long time, no better time than the present.
> >
> > "mod_perl" is a lousy name.
> >
> > There, I've said it.
>
>This discussion has occured already. The conclusion was simple: the name
>won't change. Doug cut the talk saying that he won't change the name, and I
>must say I agree.
>
>That isn't to say your points are invalid, you're concern is justified. The
>solution here is not to change modperl's name. modperl, in a way, is a low
>level thing. It's "just" Perl + Apache. When in need of a convincing name,
>say "I use Foo" where Foo is the name of something that runs on top of
>modperl. "I use AxKit", "I use FooAppFramework", etc. can sound a lot better.
>
>Of course, on top of that you need a good looking website with marketing
>talk. In any case changing the name alone doesn't help. Website content
>welcome ;-)
>
>--
>Robin Berjon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- CTO
>k n o w s c a p e : // venture knowledge agency www.knowscape.com
>Paranoids are people, too; they have their own problems.  It's easy
>to criticize, but if everybody hated you, you'd be paranoid too.

Gunther Birznieks ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
eXtropia - The Open Web Technology Company
http://www.eXtropia.com/