At 07:29 PM 01/29/02 -0500, Chris Thompson wrote:
>Well, I'd like to just throw one idea into the mix. It's something that's
>bugged me for a long time, no better time than the present.
>
>"mod_perl" is a lousy name.

I don't know about "lousy", but I do agree.   I brought this up on the
docs-dev list:

  http://search.apache.org/archives/docs-dev/0236.html

During the week I posted that I had run into PHP programmers at a computer
show, more PHP programmers at a pub (2 in the afternoon -- more out of work
programmers), and ended up talking with a couple of Java programmers one
day.  The amazing thing was they all had a completely weird idea about what
mod_perl is or what it does.  And all thought it was slow, old, dead, not
scalable,  technology.  And that was from programmers, not managers.  We
all know there is a lot of misinformation out there.

Marketing is not everything, but it's a lot!  What we know of "mod_perl" is
more than just perl+Apache, really.  It's a development platform, or
development suite.  It can be anything our marketing department says it is. ;)

In these tough economic times, repackaging might be helpful.  Who knows?

And for some of us we know that mod_perl is also something that makes up a
chunk of our livelihood.  So, the promotion of mod_perl is quite important,
unless we want to start spending more afternoons with those PHP programmers
down at the corner pub.

So how would a group like the mod_perl community promote itself in new
ways?  Well, other professionals often have professional organizations or
associations to represent and promote their members.  I wonder if there are
there enough mod_perl programmers to support something like that.  Even if
there were, what could be done?  Run a few print ads in magazines that
system admins read?  Hire an ad firm for help in developing our "brand?"
mod_perl coffee mugs? ("Tired of that old cup of Java?")  Free mod_perl
clinics?  Hard to imagine any of that actually happening, really.

So what's a group of programmers to do?

The new web site should help, to some degree, but I'm not sure it will
change any manager's mind on the technology they pick to run their
applications.

Of course, most people here have access to big pipes.  So, there's always
bulk mail ads.  I got mail just today saying that it's an effective way to
advertise.  In fact I got about ten of those today!

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]