> <untested>
>
> I think you might need to iterate through $r->err_headers_out and
> remove WWW-Authenticate and Proxy-Authenticate after each
> authentication module runs.
>
> say you have an AuthSMB and AythSybase chain.  AuthSMB calls
> note_basic_auth_failure and sets the WWW-Authenticate header,
> AuthSybase succeeds and sets the Authorizaion header.  in this case,
> both WWW-Authenticate and Authorization will be passed to the browser
> (I think), which could lead to spurious results in some browsers.
>
> </untested>

or not.  the browser sends the Authorization header, last I checked :)

at any rate, I think my thoughts were headed somewhere.  you might end
up with a popup box on every request or something if every request
ends up with a WWW-Authenticate header.  it at least warrants a test I
would think.

the return code part is probably valid, though.

anyway, I swear to start thinking before I type from now on...

--Geoff