I just looked at CGI::EncryptForm and David's module. The thing I like
right off the bat about C:EF is that you pass a href to encrypt() and get
back a href from decypt(). Perhaps I missed something, but FormContainer
takes a string, not a data structure. I prefer the simplicity of just
worrying about a structure, and not having to worry about converting it to
a string.

That said, I like the approach that the two modules use. One just goes an
extra step to guarantee data security. While looking for full-time
employment, I've been doing some freelance work, which basically is small
CGI apps. C:EF looks like it would make my life much easier by ensuring
consistent state w/ small effort on my part, and take care of any security
precautions as well. Combine that w/ CGI::Application (after I add TT2
support :-) ), and my life as a freelance CGI guy just got a whole lot easier.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. I've gotten all kinds
of neat ideas I'll use in future projects!

Drew

At 10:19 AM 2/20/2002 -0500, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> > When I used CGI::SecureState it gave the client a non-versioning (more on
> > that later) key and stored the state information in the filesystem.
>
>Okay, I only looked at it briefly and thought it stored the data on the
>client.  Your module is actually more like CGI::EncryptForm I think, but
>yours may make things a bit more transparent.  Maybe you should polish it up
>for CPAN.
>
>I'm well aware of the page-state vs. browser-state problem.  I was recently
>bitten by it again when some consultants built a web app for my company that
>puts the search results in a session keyed on a cookie.  As soon as the user
>opens two windows, it's absolute mayhem.
>
>- Perrin

Drew Taylor                     JA[P|m_p|SQL]H
http://www.drewtaylor.com/      Just Another Perl|mod_perl|SQL Hacker
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      *** God bless America! ***