Hi,

On Thursday, March 21, 2002, at 12:57 AM, Drew Taylor wrote:

> Have you tried Postgresql? It's a free, fast, ACID compliant database.
> I have it compiled & running within a few hours, not knowing much of
> anything about it before hand. From what I've read the speed is
> comparable w/ mysql for most applications.
>
> Drew
>
> At 12:40 AM 3/21/2002 +0100, Bas A.Schulte wrote:
>
>> To handle a large number of concurrent transactions in a
>> transaction-safe environment without me having to worry too much about
>> concurrency issues and referential integrity I will slowly move to
>> Oracle. $dbh->do('LOCK TABLE USER, INSTANCE, APP_DATA') just plain
>> sucks unless you want to create a very large distributed *single-user*
>> system running on multiple machines.

I kinda was afraid about people getting excited about my RDBMS remarks
which really is a subject in itself ;)

I have zero personal experience with Postgresql even though I've read
good things about it so that ruled it out for a project with a very
tight time frame. And I just happen to really, really like Oracle so
unless the application generates some real money, I will probably always
go far Oracle.

Regards,

Bas.