Bas A.Schulte wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been meaning to write an article about how I used Apache/mod_perl
> to implement a mobile SMS application platform as it demonstrates use
> of Apache/mod_perl outside the Web realm, something I hadn't seen so
> far. Time constraints (as always) have prevented me from doing this
> properly, however, I'll try to give a short description of the system.
>
> The goal kinda is to see if others are using Apache/mod_perl in a
> similar way to share experiences, discuss issues that arise or discuss
> alternatives (I'd love someone to tell me I'm an idiot for handling
> all this lowlevel stuff myself and move to J2EE/java at once, if he
> can convince me I could have implemented this with the same budget and
> time frame).

[snip]

I actually implemented a similar system, although it's not SMS specific.
 Basically, I have a central system in Apache/mod_perl.  The eventual
design is for full I/O in many protocols, including HTTP, SMTP, FTP and
a handful of other protocols.  So far the output is pretty much ready,
and I think I'm going to wait for Apache 2 before I do the inputs.  I
_could_ write mod_perl handlers to understand other protocols, but
Apache 2 is being designed around this, as far as I understand, so I'm
going to do that around Apache 2 (as soon as I get off my ass and learn
the new API :-))

  Issac