There is a nice perl/web framework for system monitoring at
http://spong.sourceforge.net but it uses plain text for
communications and a file tree instead of a database.  Maybe
you could save time by adapting it to XML and an underlying
database (although a file tree on ReiserFS is not bad at all).

   Les Mikesell
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]