Issac,

On Thursday, March 21, 2002, at 11:01 AM, Issac Goldstand wrote:

> Bas A.Schulte wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been meaning to write an article about how I used Apache/mod_perl
>> to implement a mobile SMS application platform as it demonstrates use
>> of Apache/mod_perl outside the Web realm, something I hadn't seen so
>> far. Time constraints (as always) have prevented me from doing this
>> properly, however, I'll try to give a short description of the system.
>>
>> The goal kinda is to see if others are using Apache/mod_perl in a
>> similar way to share experiences, discuss issues that arise or discuss
>> alternatives (I'd love someone to tell me I'm an idiot for handling
>> all this lowlevel stuff myself and move to J2EE/java at once, if he
>> can convince me I could have implemented this with the same budget and
>> time frame).
>>
> [snip]
>
> I actually implemented a similar system, although it's not SMS
> specific. Basically, I have a central system in Apache/mod_perl.  The
> eventual design is for full I/O in many protocols, including HTTP,
> SMTP, FTP and a handful of other protocols.

Well, this proves again that everything we software developers do has
been done umteen times before ;)

The system I described actually isn't tied to SMS as well; it has been
designed with other devices in mind as well. The virtual SMSC component
as I described it really should have a better name as it really is a
protocal handler and serializing/deserializing component that is capable
of handling other protocol and formats. In fact, I am considering
enhancing it to be able to use it in a WAP or i-Mode context (if we can
only find a way to get paid by the mobile subscriber using WAP which is
easy with SMS).

> So far the output is pretty much ready, and I think I'm going to wait
> for Apache 2 before I do the inputs.  I _could_ write mod_perl handlers
> to understand other protocols, but Apache 2 is being designed around
> this, as far as I understand, so I'm going to do that around Apache 2
> (as soon as I get off my ass and learn the new API :-))

Yep; Apache 2 combined with mod_perl sure sounds interesting, now if it
only had the stability that 1.x has ;)

Regards,

Bas.