Postgres: +More relational?  So they say.  More features perhaps.
          +stored procedures - ie. you can make query wrapping methods
          -pain the rear postgres user permissions to control.
          +been doing complex sql queries (subselects etc,)
           for longer.
          +Reminds me a lot of what I used to be able to do
           with oracle.
          +probably faster to set up ( than oracle ;) ).
          +every element of the database has a unique oid field which
           internally makes everything uniquely accessible by
           this field.
          +has all or nothing transaction support to avoid partially
           corrupting your data - it either completes the query(or group
           of queries)  or it does'nt - useful when it's under heavy load or
           joe blogs comes along writes cr@p code and dependent writes updates
           to the live db, since he enjoys making changes to live, he
           doesn't know much sql and and he mispells "update" in the
           second query. Ooops.  He's got a partially altered database
           and who knows what insanity this might cause for us.  Or even
           manager blogs using odbc and doing the same there with his 'i'm
           a techie deep down' script.  That was long!
          +Better under heavy load.
          +Clean shutdowns under heavy load.
          +psql has a cr@p command line.
          +better optimizer

Mysql:    +we all start with it.
          +Bench marks much faster.
          +/-Can allow nested queries (subselects again) though this is a
           relatively new feature.
          +People say it's less relational.  Isn't really - but has fewer
           features (see above)
          +Doesn't have stored procedure support.
          +Think that I've read that it's indexing mechanism is not as
           good as postgres'.
          +probably easier to grasp if you haven't used it before
          +negate all of the above postgres points.
          -less reliable under heavy load.

Images: Image::Magick - probably don't want the pictures themselves in the
database, so much as pointers to their physical location and a means of
pushing them in and out - use this for getting stats on them and
manipulating thumbnails etc.

My .02 EU
Probably get flamed for being all wrong.  But I'm not.
So there!! :)

Happy First Day of Spring,
fiq