On March 21, 2002 01:05 pm, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Jay Thorne wrote:
> > The first one I noted was that he assumes that a high performance app has
> > several joins. I think everyone here who's developed a few db apps will
> > tell you that joins are hugely costly and should be avoided for an
> > application's most common cases.
>
> Actually, I've developed _more_ than a few DB apps and I'd tell you that
> joins are not only _not_ hugely costly, but can sometimes be a performance
> improvement.
>
> It really depends on a lot of factors including what RDBMS you are using,
> how many connections you have, ratio of reads to writes, how complicated
> the joins are.
>
> But a blanket statement like that is flat out wrong.

Okay, now I need an example. I've never seen a query on any db where a single
table query was slower than a two table join. Of course, I'm biased here,
since my knowledge of the more bizarre db's is limited. I've only seen things
like sybase, oracle, mysql, postgres and mssql.

--
Jay "yohimbe" Thorne  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mgr Sys & Tech, Userfriendly.org