I can highly recommend PDFLib. It's not quite free in that you have to buy
a license if you make a product out of it, but it's still cheap. Matt
Sergeant has recently added an OO interface over the PDFLib functions with
PDFLib. http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=PDFLib

There are others that will convert HTML into PDF, but I prefer the precise
options available with PDFLib.

Drew