On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 07:51:42PM +0200, Thomas Eibner took time to write:
> > More precisely I have LaTeX templates, I use CGI::FastTemplate to
> > fill them in with dynamic data, run pdflatex, and then have a nice
> > PDF file.
>
> Sounds like an interesting solution, but how long does it take to
> generate the pdf files? I need something that will insert data into

Few seconds, at least for my cases (and by doing PUSHs to the Web
client it let it know exactly where we are at the generation).

You should also consider, if possible, to generate files in advance
of use.

> PDF's at certain positions (they may change) and I was looking wheter
> it would be possible doing something like CGI::FastTemplate just for
> PDF's. The "only" requirement would be that you could use _any_ program
> that generates PDF's to generate these templates. So I built part of a
> PDF parser that would extract the text portions of a PDF, but then I
> found that a PDF generated by Adobe Distiller (just as an example)
> generates text sections that look something like:
> [(Kv)25.1(ar r)9.9(adioj mangxas la fla)20(v)24.8(a)]
> for the "simple" text of "Kvar radioj mangxas la flava".
> Doesn't that just look hopeless to parse? I'm about to give up on this
> solution, any comments?

I also think that should not mess with the PDF output directly.
Because it looks like text, but as you show yourself, it is in fact
more complicated.

Patrick.