>>Geoffrey and I tested our environments today and the recipe given in
>>the book seems to work just fine:
>>
>>  PerlModule Apache::DB
>>  PerlModule Apache::DProf
>>

> With those lines I get a seg-fault on the first hit to the server.
> Reversing the lines I can get a few hits before seg-faulting.  I doubt
> it's a problem in your example - something inside Devel::DProf is
> seg-faulting as far as I can tell.  I'm planning to build a debugging
> Perl and see if I can get more information.

that's the position I'd take, at least as far as the book is concerned.

we made the deliberate decision to not talk about mod_perl bugs in the
book and instead focus on how mod_perl _should_ behave.

I was able to get it to work as the book suggests just fine with
bleeding edge everything, so it may be an issue with Perl as Ged
suggested.  since it works as given for both Paul and I we'll probably
not put it in as errata.  that it segfaults is also another sign that
whatever issue you're having is a bug (of some sort) and not really a
misconfiguration.

> But while I have your attention, why are you using Apache::DB at all?  The
> Apache::DProf docs just have:
>
>   PerlModule Apache::DProf

yes.  however, PerlModule is useful for loading modules you know you'll
use, and Apache::DProf pulls in Apache::DB.

I just looked at the DProf.pm code today for the first time and found it
rather interesting (some stuff snipped):

Apache->push_handlers(PerlChildInitHandler => \&handler);

sub handler {
     my $r = shift;

     Apache::DB->init;

so, this kinda explains why PerlModule Apache::DProf works all by itself
as the docs (and Perrin's june 2000 post) indicate.  of course, now I'm
confused by why Perrin needed to call Apache::DB->init() in a <Perl>
section at all, since that's loaded by a different interpreter than the
children, which is what you want to measure.  any ideas Perrin?

anyway, thanks for bringing this up, Sam.  we've actually closed the
book on errata for the second printing but will continue to add those
that readers find for subsequent printings (or editions).  keep them
coming :)

--Geoff