On 6/30/02 2:06 AM, Stas Bekman wrote:
> John Siracusa wrote:
>> (I'm not sure if this is a mod_perl thing of a Mac OS X bug, so I'm posting
>> it to both lists.  Redirect follow-ups as appropriate.)
>>
>> open2() doesn't seem to work for me when running under mod_perl in Mac OS X.
>
> It's not a bug in MacOSX, it simply doesn't work with mod_perl.

I can't post a direct example now (because I don't have access to the
machine from here), but I'm pretty sure I do have an example of open2()
working under mod_perl in Linux--in a perl that is not compiled with sfio.
That's why I thought it was a Mac OS X bug.

The mod_perl guide talks about the output from system(), exec(), and open(F,
"| ...") not being sent to the browser, but it doesn't mention open2().  In
the case of open2(), the input and output is supposed to be tied to
filehandles that I supply, not connected to mod_perl's (tied?) STDOUT that
eventually goes to the browser.

So could you clarify why open2() is not expected to work under mod_perl, and
why it seems to work for me in Linux?  (I'll post the working Linux example
once I can confirm it on Monday.)

-John