On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Currently we are working on a 'per machine' cache so all
> children can benefit for each childs initial database read
> of the translated string, the differential between
> children is annoying in the 'per child cache' strategy.

Sounds like you want BerkeleyDB.pm (not DB_File), which is quite fast and
handles locking/concurrent access internally (when set up properly).

See the Alzabo::ObjectCache::{Store,Sync}::BerkeleyDB modules for
examples.

For Alzabo, I also have a caching system that caches data in a database,
for cross-machine caching/syncing.  I haven't really benchmarked it yet
but I imagine it could be a win in some situations.  For example, you
could set up the cache as a separate machine running MySQL and still pull
your data from another machine, possibly running a different RDBMS.

-dave

www.urth.org
we await the New Sun