[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> We are investigating using IPC rather then a file based structure but
> its purely investigation at this point.
>
> What are the speed diffs between an IPC cache and a Berkely DB cache. My
> gut instinct always screams 'Stay Off The Disk' but my gut is not always
> right.. Ok, rarely right.. ;)

Most of the shared memory modules are much slower than Berkeley DB.  The
fastest option around is IPC::MM, but data you store in that does not
persist if you restart the server which is a problem for some.
BerkeleyDB (the new one, not DB_File) is also very fast, and other
options like Cache::Mmap and Cache::FileCache are much faster than
anything based on IPC::Sharelite and the like.

I have charts and numbers in my TPC presentation, which I will be
putting up soon.

- Perrin