Hi Peter --

> > The morale of the story:  Flat files rock!  ;-)
>
> If I'm using Apache::DBI so I have a persistent connection to MySQL,
> would it not be faster to simply use a table in MySQL?

Unlikely.  Even with cached database connections you are probably not going
to beat the performance of going to a flat text file.  Accessing files is
something the OS is optimized to do.  The process of issuing a SQL query,
having it parsed and retrieving results is probably more time-consuming than
you think.

One way to think about it is this:  MySQL stores its data in files.  There
are many layers of code between DBI and those files, each of which add
processing time.  Going directly to files is far less code, and less code is
most often faster code.

The best way to be cure is to benchmark the difference yourself.  Try out
the Benchmark module.  Quantitative data trumps anecdotal data every time.

Warmest regards,

-Jesse-

--

  Jesse Erlbaum