> I think he said mod_perl 2 in his inital post. Which I'm not sure really is
> all that swift with concurrant requests under threaded mpms (Win32 is
> limited to threaded mpms) ... least nobody seems 100% happy with the
> threaded mpm performance of mod_perl 2 yet (Stas? Anybody? How's it
> looking?)

Caution: you are entering unchartered waters.

first of all: you must use 5.8.0 with threaded mpms

perl 5.8.0 internals are thread-safe, so does mod_perl 2.0-dev.

By saying that perl is thread-safe, I mean that operations like push, =,
/, map, chimp, etc. are thread-safe. Operations that involve system
calls, may or may not be thread-safe. This varies from OS to OS, and
even varies for various versions of the same OS.

e.g. localtime() is not thread-safe on platforms where asctime(3) is not
thread-safe. other problematic ones are readdir(), srand(), ...

there is another important issue. what some people are referring to as:
thread-locality. Certain functions executed in a single thread affect
the whole process e.g. if you chdir() in one thread, all other thread
now see the cwd of that thread that chdir'ed. Other problematic
functions are umask(), chroot(), %ENV...

Getting back to the Justin's question, it's quite possible that
thread-safety problems kick in. It could be that flock is not
thread-safe. But I think the real problem is with chdir(), because
Apache::Registry chdir()s to the dir of the script. Stop using
Apache::Registry and start using ModPerl::Registry, which doesn't
chdir(). Of course you cannot do any operations with relative path
anymore. Arthur Bergman is working on some solutions for chdir(), but
nothing was released so far. So you will have to wait or help Arthur to
finish his work.

So first try using ModPerl:Registry, which I expect will resolve the
issue. If that doesn't help, please supply a *short* script that
reproduces the problem. Which of course may not exhibit the same
behavior on a different platform, but at least we can do some sanity check.