> And if they do have something to protect, they should put their
> thinking caps on and realize that this sort of "security" is called
> obfuscation for a reason: it does not accomplish anything except to
> make the results hard to read.  If you're giving away or selling the
> perl source, obfuscating it doesn't have any significant effect.

I beg to differ. Crypt::License turns the perl source into a non-text
file that appears to be pure "binary" when you try to open it. There is
less info readable than you would find in the average "C" object. That is
what is distributed to the target machines for execution. Only the decrypt
engine can decode the file in the presence of the necessary key ...
and then, it goes directly into the perl intrepreter. Sure, a clever
person could recover it at that point, but the point of most of these
exercises is to make it not convenient or cost effective to do so. It works
quiet nicely with mod_perl as well as autoloadable modules

Michael