On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Apologise if I have posted to the wrong list. I am quite new to the
> Perl*Handlers. I am wondering if it is possible to write a handler
> which parses the very first header line, say..
>
> > telnet localhost http
> Trying 127.0.0.1
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'
>
> [C] THIS_IS_NOT_A_USUAL_HTTP_HEADER\r\n
> [S] YOUR_REQUEST_IS_UNDERSTOOD,_SEND_MORE_DETAIL\r\n
> [C] Other: non-usual-http-headers-here\r\n
> [S] balbalbal..closing connection\r\n
> Connection closed by remote host.
>
> where the line followed by [C] stands for the line sent by the client,
> and the line followed by [S] is the line sent by some perl module.
>
> I would like to have the other GET/POST requests being processed like
> any other server does (i.e. if the request line is a usual GET/POST
> line, the handler bypasses it, otherwise the handler will make apache
> 'sends' the request to another perl module that knows how to handle
> this request).

If all you want to do is handle certain requests in a special manner, and
you are able to have control over the requests, why do you not use a
simpler scheme, such as directing them to a different port, or, better
yet, a different URI?

If you are getting the requests from a browser it will be difficult anyway
to add custom headers, I think. But if you can control the request you can
easily have

http://your.server.com/path/to/resource/special
http://your.server.com/path/to/resource

or something similar, and have a handler that handles everything in that
path, returning DECLINED if it doesn't match the URI you are looking for
(you don't need two handlers for this).

Hope this helps,

- nick