I was wondering if it
is
possible to write a handler to handle a 'new http method', because I could
not
find any hint in the user guide. :)
if my 'new http method' you mean something other that GET, POST, PUT, etc then no, you cannot (in Apache 1.3, at least).

just about the only thing you cannot do with mod_perl is parse the Request Line - that is handled by Apache before the request cycle starts. so Apache will intercept the requests before the PerlPostReadRequestHandler runs, similar to the way it intercepts HTTP/1.1 requests without a Host header.

in Apache/mod_perl 2.0, you can write an input filter that _does_ allow you do parse the Request Line yourself. then again, you can write a protocol handler for any protocol you can dream up, so there's no reason to mess with HTTP :)

--Geoff