Andy Wardley wrote:
Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:

I am planning to submit a proposal for a introduction talk on MVC in
a web environment.

[...]

Like Perrin I would like feedback on the idea before putting in my
proposal.

I like the sound of it, but I should warn you that I have a personal crusade against inappropriate use of the phrase "MVC" in relation to web development.
I like the sound of the proposal also but more because I think that anything Ask is itching to say is probably going to be interesting.

So I trust that he'll give a good talk.

However, like you, (but in a different way), I am not necessarily so keen on the topic of MVC.

I think most programmers know what MVC is all about, the word is likely mentioned in the docs of most template toolkits which probably has led many people to already read the copious volumes of stuff written on the web about MVC, and likewise the mailing lists of many of the open source Perl toolkits out there probably digress into talking about MVC every 3-6 months at some point. :)

In other words, I guess I am not sure how interesting MVC really is (to me). It feels like knowledge of MVC is everywhere to be found.

So personally, I would not be interested in an MVC talk just for the sake of imparting knowledge on MVC. But if there was an interesting novel twist to it then that would be more interesting.

Perhaps rather than asking our opinion on the "title" of these talks, a 1-paragraph abstract would be useful to also include in terms of giving an idea of the talk.

My limited imagination is kind of turned off on the idea of a talk as an intro to MVC. But if the abstract sounded more interesting than my limited imagination is allowing it to based on a generic title/subject name, then something in that might spark more interest to me.

It also could be that an intro talk isn't something that would spark interest on the people on this list because... well, those who are the most vocal here aren't really "intro level" people.

But an intro level talk might interest the silent majority who would pay to attend the conference and could be interested in that Intro knowledge from a "mentor" instead of reading it on the web.

So please don't let my naysaying discourage you. I could be completely wrong.

Later,
Gunther