On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Jonathan M. Hollin wrote:

> Matt Sergeant wrote:
> > I've done a lot on bayes for spam (I had an effective bayesian filter before
> > Paul Graham wrote his article on the subject), but there's not much in it
> > for a full talk. Maybe a lightning talk. Hmm...
>
> That would be great Matt.
>
> Funny how Paul Graham has become so synonymous with Bayesian
> probabilities isn't it?  Your work preceeds his, Google "Page Rank"
> apparently uses Bayesians (pre-Graham) and, here in the UK, Autonomy
> (http://www.autonomy.com/) have been doing ground-breaking work for a
> few years now with Bayesians at the core of their technology.  Despite
> this, Paul Graham is the first person people think of when you start to
> talk Bayesians, I wonder why?

To be fair to Paul Graham, what he did was put it in a language that was
accessible to geeks. Every single paper or book or whatever I've read on
Bayesian probabilities talks in maths gobledegook (although I'm sure Ken
Williams may disagree ;-). Paul Graham made it easy for the layman to
grok and implement.

A bayes lightning talk might be fun though.

--
<!-- Matt -->
<:->get a SMart net</:->