On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:03:28 -0500
John Siracusa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We've been struggling with load balancers for a while now.  My
> requirements are pretty simple. I have a handful of plain and mod_perl
> apache servers, some of which are identical and a few of which are the
> only ones that can perform unique functions.  We want a load balancer
> that:
>

> * distributes requests to the server(s) that can handle them.  I need to
> route to specific servers based on requested URL and perhaps headers
> and/or protocol type (SSL).
>
> * detects when a server is down and does not send request to that
> server. This process should be as transparent to the user as possible.
>
> * doesn't crash or lock up.

The Load Balancing section of this doc might help:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html

Just straight apache + mod_rewrite could be the simple solution you
seek. The Proxy Throughput Round-Robin example shows how to add a
script to do mapping as well - could work for your availability
detection requirement.

Bye

Paolo