On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, John Siracusa wrote:

> But meanwhile, we're still open to alternatives.  Surprisingly, there don't
> seem to be many (software) options.  (A hardware load balancer is not an
> option at his time, but I'll also take any suggestions in that area :)

My experience in this area led quickly to the conclusion that there is no
viable software solution, at least when you get a bit of traffic.

We quickly moved to hardware load balancing and did very well with the
Coyote Point Equalizer, which was affordable and powerful. Also the
developers (Bill Kish is/was the lead developer) were very responsive and
worked with us to tweak as necessary.

After a while we got one of those loser "CFOs" who was golf pals with the
new "COO" or something, and he bought a bunch of Foundry Systems Server
Irons that worked alright but were orders of magnitude more expensive.

- nick

Nick Tonkin   {|8^)>