That's for all the info so far.  To answer some questions, hardware is a
cost issue right now.  It's somewhat scary that $3,200 was a "reasonable"
price several years ago, but I suppose it could be worse.  We will
investigate further.

The mod_rewrite solutions lack dead server detection, and that's something
I'd rather not try to roll on my own, especially after seeing how well (or
not, actually) existing software solutions do.  But I've added it to the
list.

We're investigating LVS right now.

It's kind of disappointing to hear that the mod_perl solution it probably
not feasible.  Perl solutions are always more fun to implement ;)

We chose pound over pen, but we may revisit pen again.  I suspect we will
have similar problems with our expected load, however.

Whackamole, fun name aside, does not seem to be what we need.

We don't need the caching part of Squid, and I wasn't aware it did load
balancing too.  I'll check it out.

Thanks for all the info, and please feel free to send me more, especially if
there's some gem of a software load balancer out there somewhere... :)

-John