John Siracusa wrote:
(This may seem off topic for this list, but I'll try to bring it around
before the end of the message :)

We've been struggling with load balancers for a while now.
It seems that most experts hang at [EMAIL PROTECTED] It's also preferrable that the hw solutions will be discussed there.

[...]
This brings me to the mod_perl angle.  Has anyone ever tried using a slimmed
down mod_perl server as a load balancer?  Is this feasible?  Making routing
decisions is obviously the easy part when using mod_perl, but would those
mod_perl apache process just be too big and too slow to proxy requests
efficiently?  And how would they deal with detecting back-end servers that
have failed?
As someone has mentioned, squid is doing that (See the guide). The good thing is that it spawns the process and never quits it, so you don't have an overhead of perl startup for each request. Indeed it'll use a lot of memory. But may be toying with mod_perl 2.0 / threaded mpm will prove to be more memory efficient. Also PPerl comes to a mind.