On 1/13/03 1:04 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> John Siracusa wrote:
>> The mod_rewrite solutions lack dead server detection, and that's something
>> I'd rather not try to roll on my own, especially after seeing how well (or
>> not, actually) existing software solutions do.  But I've added it to the
>> list.
>> It's kind of disappointing to hear that the mod_perl solution it probably
>> not feasible.  Perl solutions are always more fun to implement ;)
>
> The mod_rewrite option is a Perl solution.  You would write some Perl
> code to manage the availability checks and optionally to provide a new
> load-balancing algorithm.  It's very similar to using mod_perl for it,
> except you get to skip writing lots of annoying proxy code.

But in a full-fledged mod_perl solution, I could back out gracefully and
retry another server if I happened to initially choose a dead server before
my dead server detection code caught it.  With the rewrite solution, I can't
think of a reasonable way to keep users from ever getting passed to dead
server.  (Obviously I can't check the server I plan to send to on every
request :)

-John