On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Jesse Erlbaum wrote:

> > That's for all the info so far.  To answer some questions,
> > hardware is a cost issue right now.  It's somewhat scary that
> > $3,200 was a "reasonable" price several years ago, but I
> > suppose it could be worse.  We will investigate further.
>
> Actually, $3200 was a STEAL!  Cisco's "Local Director" was in the mid
> five-figures at the time, IIRC.  :-)

No, the local directors were that never that much, maybe "low
five-figures", like $12-15K or so. Boston.com was running on a pair of
(saturated) low end LD's up until around Y2K, when we revamped the load
balancing architecture and switched over to ArrowPoint (which then got
gobbled up by Cisco) load distributing switches.

At that time, a past-its-prime LD could be had for $3K or so, and a
state-of-the-art Arrowpoint CS-150 ran around $12K (but we installed the
higher capacity CS-800, which ran around $30K each -- just don't ask
them to support HTTP 100% correctly... ;^)

I've been out of touch with hardware load balancing equipment over the
last couple of years, but if the decline in hardware costs of these
things has continued, I'd guess a reasonably chunky solution can be had
in the $5-7K range at this point. (Of course, you'd need to multiply
that cost by two for complete redundancy...)

[ Love to hear from someone with current knowledge if this is the case
  though...]

--
Steve Reppucci                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
Logical Choice Software                          http://logsoft.com/ |