Hi Perrin --

> That sounds cool, but how important is it really?  I'm not
> sure any of
> these solutions (including the commercial ones) do that level of
> seamless failover effectively.

I know the CPE will pull faulty servers our of the pool, but it does so
as a separate process (not by backing out of a bad request).  One
process constantly monitors servers, which informs the load-balancing
process as to server availability.

Constant monitoring was done by way of a request made to each server in
the cluster every few seconds.  There were two options.  The first was a
TCP request/response which was customizable.  The second was by way of a
request to a daemon process which was expected to return a server
performance metric.

This latter method was an open architecture -- the user was expected to
write the daemon and implement the metric to work on a scale of 0 to
100, IIRC: 0 == server down, 1 == lightly loaded, 100 == heavily loaded.

TTYL,

-Jesse-

--

  Jesse Erlbaum