Slava,

In my understanding you would better rewrite p.401-402 from the scratch for
the next edition (which is not supposed to happen very soon, isn't it?).
Otherwise, you will have to rewrite Apache::GzipChain appropriately.
Whatever you decide, I would be more than happy to help you in that work.
Just let me know. I will be waiting around.

There is no need to wait for the next edition. Almost every technical book nowadays has an errata which keeps on growing, since the technology advance makes chunks of the book obsolete. We all know that and people are used to refer to the errata list which provides the updates and corrections if any. When the next edition comes, these updates normally get merged into the book.

I think the simplest possible thing to do is this: Make sure that the tutorial on compression:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/tutorials/client/compression/compression.html
is up-to-date and everybody is happy with it. We will link to that document from the errata page, so all those interested in the compression state of art will read it before using it. When the time for a new edition comes, we will
make sure that the link to the most up-to-date tutorial will be in the book. If you think that some of the compression-related material provided in the book is erroneous, I'd be more than happy to fix it, hopefully with a help of experts like yourself.please submit any corrections to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and we will put them online at http://modperlbook.org/.

I think it's a time to start a new thread on how to improve:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/tutorials/client/compression/compression.html