On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 03:46, Slava Bizyayev wrote:
> Every good book about mod_perl achievements can result in better contracts
> for each of us and can bring aboard new talented contributors. A bad book
> can damage/destroy public interest and finally can kill this technology.

There are many bad books about Perl and they haven't killed it.
Regardless, I think what you're forgetting here is that you are
complaining about a problem that is very obscure.

> Personally I fail to understand: Why would I
> hesitate to ask list for a help being ordered to write (or review) things in
> which I feel not quite expert?

Stas asked many times for people to review the book, and some of us did.

If I were writing a book and wanted to include a small example of
compression, I would expect that reading the FAQ, reading the POD for
the modules, and testing one of them out with whatever browsers I have
handy would be enough.  I would not feel the need to run an exhaustive
test of every browser ever made just for a couple of pages in a huge
book that is mostly about other things.

> To date there are no other module around
> with close set of properties and options... And I can not write this in my
> FAQ myself. Because it would be reasonably considered an impolite behavior.

You can write the simple facts of the situation.  The things you just
mentioned on the list about Netscape 4 support are not in the FAQ.
Neither is Apache::CompressClientFixup.  You need to put them there, or
no one will know about these issues.

For example, you could add a section like this:

Q: Are there any known problems with specific browsers?

A: Yes, Netscape 4 has problems with compressed cascading style sheets
and JavaScript files.  Apache::Dynagzip handles this by detecting
Netscape 4 and leaving those files uncompressed.  If you are using one
of the other modules, you can use Apache::CompressClientFixup to disable
compression for these files.

... You get the idea.  As long as you talk about specific issues and
don't generally slam the other modules, no one will be upset by it.

- Perrin