Hi there,

On 16 Jun 2003, Clinton Gormley wrote:

> > I had a look at the memory usage of my apache/mod_perl 1 processes,
> > and was alarmed to find that only 3Mb of 25Mb processes was being
> > shared (and that's straight after startup)

I see about the same on my own server when processes get bloated, but
I don't let the processes live to serve large numbers of requests so
eventually they're killed off and replaced with new, smaller children.
Generally about 25% of the processes are big ones, the rest staying
around their initial size, but that's just the way things happen on
this server, and it's not especially busy - it runs about half a dozen
virtual hosts.  Just in case, I put in a lot more RAM than I thought I
needed.  Of course with a completely different set of (Perl) software
and operating conditions, there's no reason why your experience should
be anything like this.

> When I load nothing,  the size of my processes starts at 4204 (2504

Sounds a little on the high side, but not outrageous.  You're putting
quite a lot of stuff into your httpd, do you really need it all?

> Am I being really dumb here?

I don't think so.  If it's a problem for your machines you might want
to consider a light proxy front end + mod_perl backend.  It's easy to
set up.  A lot depends on the amount and type of traffic that you're
going to see.  If everything is dynamic HTML you might not gain much,
but if there's a lot of static content you might gain a lot.  Every
site is different - even if they're on the same machine.

73,
Ged.