Clinton Gormley wrote:
On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 13:03, Ged Haywood wrote:

/> > I had a look at the memory usage of my apache/mod_perl 1 processes,
> and was alarmed to find that only 3Mb of 25Mb processes was being
> shared (and that's straight after startup)

I see about the same on my own server when processes get bloated, but I don't let the processes live to serve large numbers of requests so eventually they're killed off and replaced with new, smaller children./

But this is happening right at startup... before any bloating.

Take all the modules out, and start adding them one by one and see which one causes the bloat, then may be try to split it in chunks and again look at what parts create the bloat. B::TerseSize should be of a great help, it's called from the Apache::Status module, and shows you the exact memory size used by each subroutine, line of code, file, etc. Chapters 9 and 13 in the "Practical mod_perl" book should give you a good idea on how to use them. There is also some info here:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/performance.html#Measuring_the_Memory_Usage_of_Subroutines