Michael G Schwern wrote:

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 03:23:36PM +0100, Steve Hay wrote:

This patch finally fixes it for me:

I'm glad you guys got it working, but there's still the problem of why MakeMaker's behavior changed. Since I tend not to touch the XS building code much its likely a bug. Try the snapshot on makemaker.org. I just fixed a minor issue with argument passing in recursive builds.

I just tried MM 6.13: that made no difference.

Then I tried the snapshot (taken at 01 Aug 2003 07:55 UTC): that failed loads of its own tests, but made no difference to the libapreq build process.

If I could see the Makefiles from 6.03 and 6.12 I might be able to figure out
what's different. Also, if you could try various alpha versions between
those two, show the Makefiles and whether or not they exhibited the
behavior that would help alot in narrowing it down.

I've also tried MM 6.05: that works OK.

Attached are the various Makefiles (the top-level one, plus those from the c, Cookie and Request sub-directories), and a transcript of the "nmake" step, from a build using MM 6.05 (which worked) and another build using MM 6.12 (which failed).

I'll move on to trying out those alpha versions and get back to you on which was the first one that failed.

Steve