Rafael Garcia-Suarez suggested to:

 - SV *sv = SvROK(ST(i)) && (SvTYPE(SvRV(ST(i))) == SVt_PV);
 + SV *sv = SvROK(ST(i)) && (SvTYPE(SvRV(ST(i))) >= SVt_PV);

+1 to fix this bug.

Jonathan, have you verified that it fixes your problem?

Geoffrey Young then said:

> but do you really want to derefernce a SVt_PVFM?  the implications here are
> far beyond my reach.

formats don't work with mod_perl anyway, unless you use SFIO. So it's probably irrelevant.
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#Using_format___and_write__

Ruslan U. Zakirov wrote:

IMHO It's better to use complex solution: fix bug reported by Rafael + warning about
deprecation in logs when refs are used with print. Then after two or three releases make it obsolete at all.

-1. You can't do that. You can't remove features in the same generation of the product, therefore mp1 will have this feature forever. We can suggest in the docs, that it's better to avoid using it, since it's not in the mp2 API.

Ideally, the deprecation cycle goes as follows:

1) leave the current generation of the product as is.
2) deprecate the feauture in the next generation.
3) remove it only in the 3rd generation.

Since we have only two generations, we have no choice but to collapse 1 and 2.

Also if mp2 already don't allow such magic then this feature have to be marked deprecated for more
compatibility and to keep people from using it, especially those who haven't look at mp2 yet(like me).

+1.