> Let's do this: try to fix it in the next version. If someone discovers
> that we broke their code we will revert it. How does it sound?

well, of course - we wouldn't leave broken code laying around just for fun.

the issue really is how important you think it is to be stable, and exactly
what that means.  to me, this means you dont' introduce changes you aren't
very sure about.  as I said in an earlier post, I am personally very unsure
about whether allowing all those PV variants is a good idea, simply because
I have no idea how every one of them is generated, or whether it is
reasonable to assume that dereferencing _every_ variant results in a
printable scalar.

if you (or rafael or anybody) is more comfortable with all the ramifications
because you understand it more completely than I do, just say so - it's no
big deal, lots of people know more than I do.  that's the benefit of open
source, after all - more people bring more experiences, perspectives, and
knowledge to the table.

--Geoff