Stas Bekman wrote:
> Rafael Garcia-Suarez suggested to:
>
>  - SV *sv = SvROK(ST(i)) && (SvTYPE(SvRV(ST(i))) == SVt_PV);
>  + SV *sv = SvROK(ST(i)) && (SvTYPE(SvRV(ST(i))) >= SVt_PV);
>
> +1 to fix this bug.
>
> Jonathan, have you verified that it fixes your problem?
>
> Geoffrey Young then said:
>
>> but do you really want to derefernce a SVt_PVFM?  the implications
> here are
>> far beyond my reach.
>
> formats don't work with mod_perl anyway, unless you use SFIO. So it's
> probably irrelevant.
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#Using_format___and_write__

format was just an example - using the above will dereference everything
from SVt_PVBM to SVt_PVIO.  it just sounds like an awful lot of stuff to me
to be adding where we weren't before (11 more PV variants, according to the
crack-pipe book), which drastically increases our exposure to unknown behaviors.

but if the change fixes the bug and you're comfortable with it I'll put it in.

> Ideally, the deprecation cycle goes as follows:
>
> 1) leave the current generation of the product as is.
> 2) deprecate the feauture in the next generation.
> 3) remove it only in the 3rd generation.

that's a bit over-zealous as far as I'm concerned - there's no reason we
couldn't phase out the feature in the 1.0 tree over time.  but with 2.0
reaching fruition, I see no reason to remove any features from 1.0, as the
migration to 2.0 will be painful enough without a series of mini-migrations
along the way.

--Geoff