mock wrote:
On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:27:33AM -0800, Stas Bekman wrote:

Cool. It looks nice, but you shouldn't have rushed to release things on CPAN, IMHO.

Why taking over the Apache::SMTP namespace if you don't implement a full SMTP protocol? It's usually a good idea to post a proposal here so we may help to choose a suitable name. If you badly want to put things on CPAN, include _ in the version number so that the PAUSE indexer won't index it.

Besides taking over Apache::SMTP, it should probably live somewhere under Apache::Protocol::. For some ideas see:
http://perl.apache.org/products/apache-modules.html#Module_Naming_Conventions

It should be a full implementation of SMTP, if it isn't then there's a bug.

I guess I was thinking about your docco in: http://search.cpan.org/~mock/Apache-SMTP-0.01/lib/Apache/SMTP.pm

This implements a very simple SMTP server using Apache and mod_perl 2....

So I thought that there could be a not so simple SMTP server which may want to live around the same namespace.

What it doesn't do, is proper queuing, any sort of real validation of the
sender or recipient, domain specific configuration, or local delivery. My thought for the namespace was that those sorts of things would be implemented
in subclasses - Apache::SMTP::LocalDelivery - and the like. I'm not sure I
like the Apache::Protocol:: namespace as it, to my mind at least, doesn't capture the idea that it implements a daemon. I toyed with Apache::Net::Server::Mail::SMTP since it really is just Net::Server::Mail::SMTP
bolted on to a handler, but that name space is just fugly ;). I suppose it
could be Apache::Server::SMTP or perhaps Apache::Daemon::SMTP but both of those
seem somehow redundant; I mean, "Apache::Server?" Apache is a Server. Anyway
after agonizing over the namespace for quite some time I decided to just go
with simple and to the point Apache::SMTP (although I thought about putting
a D on the end for Apache::SMTPD). Anyway, obviously I ate too much lead paint
as a child, however I'm certainly willing to move to a different name space
if someone thinks there'll be others wanting to camp out in Apache::SMTP.

I don't know what's the best name to use. As I originally commented, I'm just trying to reserve global namespaces. But that's why you should have posted here and hopefully others will come up with good ideas.

My 2 cents is that what you wrote is really an application/wrapper. So may be the namespace should reflect that.

You want to keep TestTieBucketBrigade.pm out of project/lib and put it under t instead. See the modperl-2.0 test suite.

I'm having a little difficulty figuring out how to create request which isn't
HTTP.  I'll move TestTieBucketBrigade and rerelease just as soon as I figure
out how to make Apache::TestRequest do what I want.

See: http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html#PerlHeaderParserHandler

Scroll down to the send_http_email.pl client.