On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 06:19:41 -0700
Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ... [ big snip ]
>
> I guess it's still important to make an effort to have mod_perl appear
> more in the media (e.g. articles, announcements), conferences, etc.
> But your viewpoint is interesting.  It'd be really nice to have
> someone doing PR for mod_perl, like all those Java and PHP projects
> do.

  I agree mod_perl needs more PR.  I think we've got a great community
  of people to help on the mailing list, tons of great documentation,
  but lack in several areas:

  1) PR announcements in general (When is the last time you saw mod_perl
     in the press?)
  2) Online and magazine articles about mod_perl
  3) HOWTOs on specific subjects
  4) Small application examples with developer commentary.

  I think all of these are important and #4 especially for people new
  to programming or just new to mod_perl.  If we had 4 or 5 small
  working applications online that had detailed commentary about
  specific mod_perl info, overall design decisions, how to properly
  layout code in a couple of different styles.  How to layout your
  modules, objects, database schema/connections, optimizations,
  authentication, sessions, etc. it would go a long way helping people
  get started (or find betters methods than they currently use) in
  mod_perl.

  While I think the documentation and the various books on mod_perl
  are wonderful resources I think if we had a few mod_perl "patterns"
  online it would help new and experienced coders get a better handle on
  how mod_perl fits into the big picture of their application.

  What I'm thinking about is much like Perrin's great article about
  etoys.com, only with full working code and copious amounts of
  commentary about it.

  Since many of us will be in Portland for OSCON, maybe we should get
  together in person to discuss mod_perl PR in more detail? Perhaps
  even create a small group of people to help with PR much like the
  PostgreSQL group has recently done with their advocacy group.