Eric wrote:
> I think the other aspect of
> mod_perl that I would want to push very hard is the deep hooks into
> Apache. Just as a small example of something I have not yet figured out,
> but am pretty sure I can find a way with mod_perl, I want to capture
> STDERR and redirect it to an "in memory file" There are a bunch of cpan
> module that do something like this, but I started to wonder about how
> that works with Apache itself since STDERR gets written to the
> error_log(please don't give me the answer BTW) :)

when you reach the point when you want an answer, it's right there in recipe
 16.6 in the mod_perl developer's cookbook.  the code is online as well

  http://www.modperlcookbook.org/code/ch16/Cookbook-DivertErrorLog-0.01/

:)

> The main point I am
> trying for here in a clumsy way is that I am not sure how many people
> developing web apps with other tools are thinking in terms of how to
> alter the way Apache behaves but rather are thinking about how their app
> deals with Apache. I think that is a massive difference and a good
> expression of the power of mod_perl.

I'm really not into self-promotion, but this is pretty much to point of view
the MPDC takes throughout.  but unfortunately the book has had only a
limited following.

--Geoff