William Fulmer wrote:
Apologies.  You are correct.  I never responded directly to this email.

my $file = "/tmp";
my $mtime = (stat $file)[9];

and:

my $file = __FILE__;
my $mtime = (stat $file)[9];

both fail (meaning the test hangs)

-M __FILE__;

and

-M "/tmp";

both work (which is to say that the test does not hang, but the test
fails because stat returns number of seconds since the epoch and -M
returns the number of days since last modification).

Right, but I think both perform stat(). I went back to your strace message, which had:

write(2, "N o - M a l l o w e d w h ".., 36) ................................. = 36

with some googling I've found:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=104941790431878&w=2

which is talking about:

"waiting for server to start: .No -M allowed while running setuid.
perl_parse: Address family not supported by protocol
!!!
server has died with status 1 (please examine t/logs/error_log)
make: *** [run_tests] Error 143 "

Could that be your issue? Do you have setuid involved in your setup?

If you build mod_perl as root as Richard mentioned in the above URL, do you get any difference?

the error is coming from perl.c:

STATIC void
S_forbid_setid(pTHX_ char *s)
{
#ifdef SETUID_SCRIPTS_ARE_SECURE_NOW
    if (PL_euid != PL_uid)
        Perl_croak(aTHX_ "No %s allowed while running setuid", s);
    if (PL_egid != PL_gid)
        Perl_croak(aTHX_ "No %s allowed while running setgid", s);
#endif /* SETUID_SCRIPTS_ARE_SECURE_NOW */
    /* PSz 29 Feb 04
     * Checks for UID/GID above "wrong": why disallow
     *   perl -e 'print "Hello\n"'
     * from within setuid things?? Simply drop them: replaced by
     * fdscript/suidscript and #ifdef IAMSUID checks below.
     *
     * This may be too late for command-line switches. Will catch those on
     * the #! line, after finding the script name and setting up
     * fdscript/suidscript. Note that suidperl does not get around to
     * parsing (and checking) the switches on the #! line, but checks that
     * the two sets are identical.
     *
     * With SETUID_SCRIPTS_ARE_SECURE_NOW, could we use fdscript, also or
     * instead, or would that be "too late"? (We never have suidscript, can
     * we be sure to have fdscript?)
     *
     * Catch things with suidscript (in descendant of suidperl), even with
     * right UID/GID. Was already checked in suidperl, with #ifdef IAMSUID,
     * below; but I am paranoid.
     *
     * Also see comments about root running a setuid script, elsewhere.
     */

Apache, perl and mod_perl where all compiled with HP's ANSI C compiler.
 The compiler is now with the latest version and patch level.  Also,
will point out that this is now under HP-UX 11i (11.11) was formerly
HP-UX 11.00.  Not sure this matters since the symptom's of the problem
remain unchanged.  When I first reported the problem I was on the eve of
upgrading the OS on the server I've been trying to get this working on.

That's good.

-- __________________________________________________________________ Stas Bekman JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide ---> http://perl.apache.org mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com http://modperlbook.org http://apache.org http://ticketmaster.com