Geoffrey Young wrote:

I don't think we expect CPAN to grok Apache2, just the local filesystem and
@INC.  but you're right, the entire perldoc/CPAN/@INC thing is a real issue.

don't forget that we supply mp2doc which works around this issue.

what I think really needs to happen is that there should be a common way for
all things perl to deal with this issue - one that scales easily to many,
many versions and that common perl tools understand.  if one is developed
mod_perl would certainly follow it.  cpan-discuss@perl.org is where this
specific issue seems to come and go, so perhaps that is the best place to
sort it all out.

This list is very quiet... http://www.mail-archive.com/cpan-discuss@perl.org/index.html#00023 but it's probably the best place, since all people who aren't genuinely interested in improving CPAN aren't there.