Geoffrey Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Perrin Harkins wrote:
>>>however, it's not as simple as renaming everything Apache2::*.  why?  it
>>>just doesn't scale well.  for example, there are _already_ compat issues
>>>between mod_perl for Apache 2.1/2.2 and Apache2.0, so right away we would
>>>need Apache2::* for modules that use the Apache 2.0 API and Apache2.2::*
>>>for
>>>those that use the 2.2 API.  then perhaps Apache3::* someday, etc...
>>

>> I don't really see what the problem is with that.  C libraries seem to do
>> it that way without too much trouble.  What would be the harm in having
>> Apache2_2:: and Apache3:: and Apache27:: etc.?  It's no worse than saying
>> "I want Apache::Foo, but from the 2.2 distribution."
>
> well, I agree that doing it that way isn't the _worst_ thing that could
> happen,

It sure might be, given the apparent confusion between "interface
compatibility" and "platform support".  Unlike the 1.3|2.0 situation,
it's quite possible that a single mp2 source distro will be able to
support both apache 2.0 and 2.2; moreover it would make very little
sense to support them in a parallel install.  If so, users will
have to decide which server platform (2.0 or 2.2) they want their mp2
installation to use.  Module authors requiring a specific 2.x
platform can just *test for it*.  If their latest version doesn't
support as many platforms as mp2 does, either ask CPAN for
multi-version indexing, or just document the issue.   But asking
the community to embed every incompatible server platform in the
package system, just to communicate a platform specification to CPAN?

Please, lets not do that.  The reason for Apache2.pm is to support
parallel installation, nothing more.  My only gripe with the mp2
release candidates is that I would have liked to see a few production
mp2 releases on CPAN before its mp1 indexing starts to disappear.

--
Joe Schaefer