Yep.  Validate templates.

What the template renders to better damn well be valid -- but if I use a templating system that allows for invalid templates, then it becomes my job to restructure them to be valid in addition to doing the logic and substitution. Thats a mess.

I want designers that I work with to make valid templates that I just swap stuff in and out of. I run everything that I get through xmllint, and if its good I use it, if not, they fix it -- not me.