On Nov 30, 2005, at 12:30 AM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
It certainly can be a scoping issue, but it could also be a locking
issue.  Without seeing a test case that causes it, it's pretty hard to
guess.

I'd suggest running data dumper and storing each iteration of a 'session' variable to a different text file -- then looking at them and seeing how/why they're growing large.

At my last fulltime job, i had to fix a .NET project another agency made. the devry graduate who programmed it saved a serialized (encrypted) version of the session user as a hidden formfield to get past browser cookies and an inability to munge server URIs. aside from the user account info being obscenely big (40k ?! on first load) -- he also had it save recursively.

        ie:
                session{user}
                session{user{user}}
                session{user{user}{user}}

so after 4 pageloads, you had a 200k html page because of that serialized session. Not good , nor necessary.

Once, on something I quickly threw together, I stored the last requested URL in the session var. a typo ended up in me essentially appending the URL as a history, not replacing it entirely. a couple hours of testing, and I had a 300k session variable and i couldn't figure out why performance was degrading.