On Jan 17, 2007, at 7:11 PM, Tracy12 wrote:

Well does this all mean there is limited features to do session handling on mod_perl. Well I am new to mod_perl but in JAVA/Servlet you can do a simple
thing like this

request.getSession().setAttribute("my_remote_user",<uid of the authenticated
user>);
for subsequent requests we can retrieve this attribute and do what we want. I expected similar session handleing feature availabe in mod_perl as this is
a common requirement.

"store the user info on the lan, mapped to the id in the cookie" is
something which we need to think, Isnt there a easy way to store information
on user session.

Other doubt that we have is Because the user successful in his first
Authentication, Isnt there a way to retrieve the remote_user variable in the
subsequent requests (I may be wrong as well all new to this).

you use Apache::Session or CGI::Session to do that transparently.

your java servelet example seems to be using a framework, while mod_perl is a platform.

you might be wanting to use something like catalyst which can run on modperl and has the facilities to do what you want built in.

session handling isn't built into mod_perl, because that would lock people into a certain way. instead you use either Apache::Session or CGI::Session, or one of the numerous variants.

They all use the same model:

        session id comes from client cookie
session id loads / saves a session variable to your LAN. either on the same machine in a file, or on a database on your local network

request.getSession().setAttribute("my_remote_user",<uid of the authenticated
user>);

that is very likely just wrapping several functions in one line.

request.getSession() probably wraps a routine to get session id based on some client cookie value

// Jonathan Vanasco