On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 4:52 AM, Jeff Pang <pa...@vfemail.net> wrote:
> I'm just curious, is this performance data still true in today?
> We have a new project building a website for a goverment which should handle
> lots of transportation data, servlet and modperl are two choices.

I don't know what the source of that data was.  However, mod_perl is
basically just Perl, and Perl is very fast.  In most of the language
benchmarks I've seen, Perl comes out a little ahead of PHP and
somewhat behind Java.  In real-world websites though, Perl often ends
up being faster than Java because of slow Java web frameworks and the
overly-abstract designs they encourage.

You can certainly succeed at building large websites with either Perl
or Java.  I'd suggest you consider who will be doing the work and what
the expenses will be.  If you decide to use Java, go with open source.
 The commercial frameworks are slow and not worth the price.

- Perrin